A name you can trust
The power to pick a health plan that is right for you and your family is important.
Learn more about the health insurance plans that are available. We provide health care for
STAR (Medicaid) and CHIP members in a 6-county service area in North Texas. Our plans can take care of your whole family. On this page you can find out where to go to fill out an application and see if you qualify for STAR (Medicaid) and CHIP. You can also find answers to frequently asked questions.
- Tarrant County
- Denton County
- Hood County
- Johnson County
- Parker County
- Wise County
STAR (Medicaid) is a program that provides health care at no cost for people on Medicaid.
Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) is health insurance designed for families who earn too much money to qualify for Medicaid, yet cannot afford to buy private health insurance. Children with CHIP pay no more than $50 a year for health care coverage. Some families with CHIP also may need to pay co-pays for some services.
Here's how it works:
- See if you qualify.
- Fill out an application. One form covers both programs. You may get health and medical services from either CHIP or Medicaid, depending on your family's income.
- If you qualify, the Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) will mail you a welcome packet. Your packet will tell you about the health plans and doctors available in your area.
To see if you qualify and to fill out an application please go to CHIP and Children's Medicaid web site.
We put your health first
Cook Children's Health Plan offers quality health care plans for the whole family. The CHIP and STAR (Medicaid) programs allow you to choose from many doctors, clinics, hospitals and specialty services. We have doctors for both adults and children.
We offer so many choices
Cook Children's Health Plan offers a long list of adult and children's doctors and our OB/GYN network is always growing.
We currently have:
- More than 470 doctors
- More than 1,370 specialists
- 38 hospitals in our network
Benefits of CHIP and STAR (Medicaid) include:
- Choice of doctors
- Dental coverage
- Prenatal care
- Prescription drugs and medical supplies
- Medical specialists
- Regular checkups and office visits
- Shots and immunizations
- Hospital care and services
- Eye exams and glasses
More free benefits for Cook Children's Health Plan members:
- 24/7 Nurse Advice Line
- Over-the-counter drug benefit
- Obesity reduction benefit
- School and sports physicals
- Prepared childbirth classes
- Boys and Girls Clubs membership
- Increased frame allowance for glasses
STAR (Medicaid) only:
We have everything you need to keep your family healthy.
Call toll-free 1-800-964-2247 to learn more.
To apply for CHIP or STAR (Medicaid), call toll-free 1-877-KIDS-NOW (1-877-543-7669) or go to http://www.chipmedicaid.org/