Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation
How do I report suspected abuse, neglect, or exploitation?
You have the right to respect and dignity, including freedom from Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation.
What are Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation?
Abuse is mental, emotional, physical, or sexual injury, or failure to prevent such injury.
Neglect results in starvation, dehydration, overmedicating, or under medicating, unsanitary living conditions, etc. Neglect also includes lack of heat, running water, electricity, medical care, and personal hygiene.
Exploitation is misusing the resources of another person for personal or monetary gain. This includes taking Social Security or SSI (Supplemental Security Income) checks, abusing a joint checking account, and taking property and other resources
Reporting Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation
The law requires that you report suspected Abuse, Neglect, or exploitation, including unapproved use of restraints or isolation that is committed by a provider.
Call 9-1-1 for life-threatening or emergency situations.
Report by Phone (non-emergency)
24 hours a days, 7 days a week, toll-free
Report to the Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS) by calling 1-800-647-7418 if the person being abused, neglected, or exploited lives in or receives services from a:
- Nursing facility;
- Assisted living facility;
- Adult day care center;
- Licensed adult foster care provider; or
- Home or Community Support Services Agency (HCSSA) or Home Health Agency,
Suspected Abuse, Neglect or Exploitation by a HCSSA must also be reported to the Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS)
Report all other suspected abuse, neglect, or exploitation to DFPS by calling 1-800-252-5400.
Report Electronically (non-emergency)
Go to https://txabusehotline.org. This is a secure website. You will need to create a password-protected account and profile.
Helpful Information for Filing a Report
When reporting abuse, neglect, or exploitation, it is helpful to have the names, ages, addresses, and phone number of everyone involved.
FRAUD & ABUSE
Do you want to report Waste, Abuse or Fraud?
Let us know if you think a doctor, dentist, pharmacist at a drug store, other health care providers, or a person getting benefits is doing something wrong. Doing something wrong could be waste, abuse, or fraud, which is against the law. For example, tell us if you think someone is:
- Getting paid for services that weren’t given or necessary.
- Not telling the truth about a medical condition to get medical treatment.
- Letting someone else use their Medicaid ID.
- Using someone else’s Medicaid ID.
- Not telling the truth about the amount of money or resources he or she has to get benefits.
To report waste, abuse, or fraud, choose one of the following:
- Call the OIG Hotline at 1-800-436-6184;
- Visit https://oig.hhsc.state.tx.us/. Under the box labeled "I WANT TO" click "Report Waste, Abuse, and Fraud" to complete the online form; or
- You can report directly to your health plan:
- Cook Children’s Health Plan
Attn: Fraud, Waste, and Abuse
P. O. Box 2488
Fort Worth, TX 76113-2488
To report waste, abuse or fraud, gather as much information as possible.
When reporting about a provider (a doctor, dentist, counselor, etc.) include:
- Name, address, and phone number of provider
- Name and address of the facility (hospital, nursing home, home health agency, etc.)
- Medicaid number of the provider and facility, if you have it
- Type of provider (doctor, dentist, therapist, pharmacist, etc.)
- Names and phone numbers of other witnesses who can help in the investigation
- Dates of events
- Summary of what happened
When reporting about someone who gets benefits, include:
- The person’s name
- The person’s date of birth, Social Security Number, or case number if you have it
- The city where the person lives
- Specific details about the waste, abuse, or fraud