Texas Health Steps
What is Texas Health Steps?
There is a special health care program for children. It is called Texas Health Steps. This program is for children and teens age 0 to 20 years who receive Medicaid and is designed to keep children healthy. If you get your child’s checkups, the doctor can find and treat problems before they become serious.
What services are offered by Texas Health Steps?
Texas Health Steps is the Medicaid health-care program for STAR and STAR Kids children, teens, and young adults, birth through age 20.
Texas Health Steps gives your child:
- Free regular medical checkups starting at birth.
- Free dental checkups starting at 6 months of age.
- A case manager who can find out what services your child needs and where to get these services.
Texas Health Steps checkups:
- Find health problems before they get worse and are harder to treat.
- Prevent health problems that make it hard for children to learn and grow like others their age.
- Help your child have a healthy smile.
When to set up a checkup:
- You will get a letter from Texas Health Steps telling you when it’s time for a checkup. Call your child’s doctor or dentist to set up the checkup.
- Set up the checkup at a time that works best for your family.
If the doctor or dentist finds a health problem during a checkup, your child can get the care he or she needs, such as:
- Eye tests and eyeglasses.
- Hearing tests and hearing aids.
- Dental care
- Other health care.
- Treatment for other medical conditions.
Call Cook Children’s Health Plan at 1-844-843-0004 or Texas Health Steps 1-877-847-8377 (1-877-THSTEPS) (toll-free) if you:
- Need help finding a doctor or dentist.
- Need help setting up a checkup.
- Have questions about checkups or Texas Health Steps.
- Need help finding and getting other services.
If you can’t get your child to the checkup, Medicaid may be able to help. Children with Medicaid and their parent can get free rides to and from the doctor, dentist, hospital, or drug store.
- Houston/ Beaumont area: 1-855-687-4786.
- Dallas/ Ft. Worth area: 1-855-687-3255.
- All other areas: 1-877-633-8747 (1-877-MED-TRIP).
How and when do I get Texas Health Steps medical and dental checkups for my child?
Every parent wants their child to be happy and healthy. Keeping them up-to-date with all checkups is one of the ways to promote your child’s well-being. Your children should visit the doctor at these times for their Texas Health Steps checkups:
- At birth while still in the hospital
- 3 – 5 days of life
- 2 weeks
- At 2, 4, 6 and 9 months
- At 12, 15 and 18 months
- 2, 3 and 4 years
- At 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 years
- At 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 and 20 years
Does my Texas Health Steps doctor have to be part of the Cook Children’s Health Plan Network? Do I have to have a referral?
Your child can go to any Texas Health Steps Medicaid provider for Texas Health Steps services without a referral.
Can I get help making a Texas Health Steps appointment?
Yes. You can call our Customer Care Department at 1-844-843-0004 if you need help to make an appointment.
What if I need to cancel a Texas Health Steps appointment?
Call your PCP’s or dentist’s office if you need to cancel a Texas Health Steps appointment. Reschedule the checkup as soon as you can so your child will stay healthy.
What if I am out of town and my child is due for a Texas Health Steps checkup?
If you are out of town and your child is due for a Texas Health Steps checkup, you can call our Customer Care Department. If you are in Texas, they can tell you what doctors you can see for a Texas Health Steps visit or you can call your Primary Care Provider.